Saturday 8 December 2007

What is this world coming to when even the dead can't rest in peace?

The entry below was posted on another forum. I had been doing a search on headstones and their meanings of those inscribed in Latin. My search engine brought up a link, which I followed to this conversation. This is only a brief excerpt of what I discovered.

What took me back was the attitude of the respondent clearly stating that he had no morals in desecrating somebody's resting place. What was even more astonishing is that he wasn't the only one that felt that way.

My husband is my full-time carer, and his past time is recording and preserving the headstones of those who have gone before us. The number of headstones that he has come across that have been damaged through wanton vandelism is disgusting.

Those who have died before us have left us a legacy and a map. My husband and I like going to the heritage centre and seeing how much of the people's lives we can find on microfilm, and it helps us get to know what they were like as people, and how they contributed to society.

Some so-called mundane graves tend to hold a wealth of information in the historical centre. When I leave this body, I would like to know that my headstone would be a marker in helping somebody research my history and life to understand and learn from it.

Some of the deceased, bless them, may not have been able to make a contribution in life, as they can in death, by us taking stock of the heritage that they left behind by giving us a glimpse into their world and into their lives.

Besides, they were once amongst the living and sometimes when you look at the depth of their pain and suffering and reflect on yours-you get a clearer perspective. I find no matter what the generation it is always tragic to see a headstone of a child dying at such a young age. It doesn't matter if they died before the 20th century or after, or anywhere in between. It is tragic, when their graves are destroyed and damaged by reckless vandels.

Please excuse the profanity of the conversation below, but I felt that these two individuals proved a point. Although the first individual is brusk in their language, you can clearly see how they feel by such unscrupulous acts against the dead




GrayFox
- September 20, 2005 09:31 PM (GMT)
Seriously, they're talking about it on the news. Some retarded jackasss went into a cemetary and vandalized the headstones! What's the point of doing that, except to be a dumbass retarded bitch? :huh:

DemonBanisher54 - September 20, 2005 10:00 PM (GMT)
lol i'd do that

No comments: